this will be an earthworm in 1000 years

What kind of bird descends screaming on a city of worms?

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Maybe Fox News is right...

about being fair and balanced? Are they? Fair? Balanced?

I read the news today. Oh boy...was there an argument today in the New York Times? A word attributed to a Republican, countered by another one right, or several utterances of Democrat. Throw in the jaded opinion of an independent and you've got yourself conflict. You have a story that boils down to a lot of he said she said we say absolutely nothing. Precious little nothing.

Now, this saddened me, for what other source of NEWS have I but a few stolen moments of New York Times? And not Times Select, either. Regular anyone can click on "I don't pay for my information" New York Times. Right before I hit hotmail, myspace, backstage cause I'm a relentless actress, I scan the headlines for something of interest. I generally pass over the latest bloodcount. Bloodcounts tend to read the same, unless you recognize a name. I can't even remember the names of everyone I've slept with.

Today was different. Because I ate only an apple for breakfast, because I re-used my teabags from the night before, because instead of going straight on to check my pixeled social life, I really got caught.

This is what New York Times told me (my own poor but sufficient summary):

The Bush administration, who's name has become synonymous with hapless, akin to the little engine everyone wished would combust, has approved the 6.8 billion dollar sale of U.S. shipping operations currently run by the London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co., which runs commercial operations at the six U.S. ports, to Dubai Ports World, a company owned by the United Arab Emirates.

Fuck. But, wait, that sounds a little leftist, a little slanted, please let this be sensational...

I visited FoxNews, something I haven't done since my days of half-assed college journalism. I think it may have been the skeptic, the last remnants of the Southern state of mind flashing red in my brain, but it seems like I don't ever know what to fear anymore. It's always bad. And you know what? FoxNews thinks it's bad, too. So does CNN and the AP wire. I am sufficiently convinced.

The United Arab Emirates are our friends. The United Arab Emirates served as a financial base for the September 11th hijackers. We need more Middle Eastern Allies. We must hold all companies to the same standards, and not succumb to bigotry, to hysteria...I'm scared and stupid while wondering why.

President Bush was unaware. He didn't know abot the deal until the screams of dissent broke water. But he has threatened his veto. Six years in office and he's never vetoed anything before.

These are the impressions one is left with. Flat paper, a personalized screen. What if we still had to gather around radios to hear things happen?

A high percent nodding their heads at once. The thing is, even the Republicans are after him on this. Republican majority leader Bill Frist pledges legislation to block the transaction. A light in the attic?

Maybe the baby's had the toy for too long. Maybe he needs to be changed. Even daddy smells the shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home